Playing in public...

1. 7 years ago

I just played my uke in public for the first time last night at a picnic. I played Happy Birthday but is was still a bit nerve-wreaking. I've only played for family and a few friends.

Who here (beginners only and no one who plays in a band on another instrument either) has done this? Did you have fun or did you just get a migraine after playing?

2. It is really nerve racking but the more you do it the easier it becomes. The only standard of 'practice! practice! practice!' comes in to play. Dont play a song in front of someone until you know it so well that it is second nature to your hands. I played for a while as the 'Ukulele Ninja' (with and without a band) and I wore a mask which helped because it let me hide behind a character and made it easier to get up and have fun without feeling like people were judging 'me'. I dont play as the ninja anymore and it was a whole new experience playing as myself without hiding behind anything and encouraged me twice as much to get better and learn everything i plan on playing down to a science.

If worst comes to worst, just remember relax and have fun! If your just playing for friends and family they dont care anyway if your a master of the uke or not.

3. I was born with a genetic defect that resulted in a deficit of inhibitions

As a result I am happy to make a fool of myself in public all the time

4. ...and If you dont suffer from pootsies condition, beer goes a long way in helping reach similar effects! X)

5. "massahwahl" ...and If you dont suffer from pootsies condition, beer goes a long way in helping reach similar effects! X)

I muchly prefer this solution.

6. First time is always hard. You can sometimes help fears by playing with others (share the pain).

First time I did it I was physically shaking and hated it.

Strangely though, many very experienced performers still get jitters, and I do too. That demonstrates something - it is not actually nerves, it's more adrenaline and a desire to get it right - feels very similar. Some top players say they would worry if they didn't get jitters as it might signify they no longer care about their performance.

7. "bazmaz" First time is always hard. You can sometimes help fears by playing with others (share the pain).

First time I did it I was physically shaking and hated it.

Strangely though, many very experienced performers still get jitters, and I do too. That demonstrates something - it is not actually nerves, it's more adrenaline and a desire to get it right - feels very similar. Some top players say they would worry if they didn't get jitters as it might signify they no longer care about their performance.

Very very true! Being nervous shows that you give a hoot about the performance your about to deliver!

8. First time performances are pretty awful. My family is very musically oriented, so every time we get together everyone with any sort of ability is expected to contribute. Which for me means have something ready or disappoint everyone. I will say that performing with any degree of frequency makes it a lot easier, although the adrenaline rush never really goes away. Either that or I'm a really panicky person and just have yet to realize it.

9. i do not like playing public. there's always that 'what if i mess up' question in your mind. it is scary at first, but if youu wwant to make some sort of career out of it, you're gonna have to keep on practicing. You'll become more comfortable with it after awhile. Also, try preforming with a friend. It will take some of the wieght off your shoulders. Hope this helped

10. Confidence is key. Knowing your music is essential. I'm just a chicken!

11. Dude i almost died playing in front of people for the first time. It didn't stop me from having a good time poking fun at myself when i did mess up. Being able to laugh off a mistake is good as long as it is only a few because if you mess up more than 2 or 3 times people aren't laughing they're just annoyed that ya kinda suck and aren't taking your art of uke mastery seriously So for your novice attempts to play, as i have had plenty only having played for a year, in front of people just laugh it off a few times you'll be fine. Just make sure it never happens again Cheers

12. No fair! The OP excluded me from contrubuting! It's you guys who lose, really. My avatar is a picture of me playing a show in a tutu. My first time playing the ukulele alone on stage is a great story, but I can't tell it.

13. Pretty please?

14. thongar

29 Aug 2012 Moderator

"BeZo" No fair! The OP excluded me from contrubuting! It's you guys who lose, really. My avatar is a picture of me playing a show in a tutu. My first time playing the ukulele alone on stage is a great story, but I can't tell it.

Hahaha! I was actually wondering what that was. (The tutu).

Who here (beginners only and no one who plays in a band on another instrument either) has done this?

I'm gonna contribute anyway. First time playing in front of people (on the ukulele) was in a class, before the lesson started. I brought my ukulele to do something during the break, and the teacher said I should play something for them...so I did. It was very nerve-wracking. I was singing too, so my voice went all shake-y and stuff. Performing gets much better with exposure though, but I still get nerves playing in front of an audience. Pretty sure that's normal.

15. Ive only played twice in public (as in before an audience). But both times ive been singing (Harmonizing) with others. The first time was for around 50 people and the second like thirty. I was nervous as all get out!!! Especially since I get real anxious in front of large crowds. But my love for singing and the comfort of having others up there with me helped. I know ill probably faint the day I have to get up there by myself and sing... But like all the other times, Ill just force myself to do it!

This was my second time...

16. I've brought my uke to my school once. It felt weird just playing it while others watched. I always mess up when I start to think about people watching, even if I'm just practicing by myself. The only other time that I've played an instrument publicly was when I used to play bass with my old school's orchestra. I never felt nervous of anything during concerts and competitions. I guess that was because I played with a group. But, playing ukulele publicly by yourself is completely different, because if you mess up, everyone can hear it.

17. My first time playing in public (on stage) was opening up for a local joke band, Brick Stonewall and the United States of Awesome. Brick is a hillbilly, right wing, redneck, republican, rock band in which all of the members dress up as characters and perform as a show beyond the music. I was hosting this show, and as part of their act, when I introduced them, I played Soundgarden's "Blow Up the Outside World" on my ukulele. I bombed. I was really nervous. There were all these people expecting to see a rock band play, instead got me playing a ukulele really poorly. Then, as part of the act, Brick (the lead singer) came out from the back, grabbed a mic., told me that I sucked, and smashed a beer bottle over my head.

The beer bottle was fake, BTW. It was made out of sugar and whatnot and just shattered instantly. I collapsed and laid on the stage motionless while Brick called the rest of the band up to begin their set. The guitar player (who I also am in a band with, Brick being his side project) played the first song with his foot on me, and kicked me around a few times before I grabbed the edge of the stage and pulled myself off. I stumbled through the crowd grabbing my head milking what just happened.

It was all part of the show. My complete and utter failure on the ukulele translated to a better performance for the band, so it kinda worked out well that I bombed. It was weird though. I had practiced the song a lot. I had it down, and I have played hundreds of shows in front of thousands of people. Yet, when I got up to perform and sing by myself, I was crippled by fear. I guess it's a whole lot different when you're playing with a band, than when you are going solo.

18. "BeZo" My first time playing in public (on stage) was opening up for a local joke band, Brick Stonewall and the United States of Awesome. Brick is a hillbilly, right wing, redneck, republican, rock band in which all of the members dress up as characters and perform as a show beyond the music. I was hosting this show, and as part of their act, when I introduced them, I played Soundgarden's "Blow Up the Outside World" on my ukulele. I bombed. I was really nervous. There were all these people expecting to see a rock band play, instead got me playing a ukulele really poorly. Then, as part of the act, Brick (the lead singer) came out from the back, grabbed a mic., told me that I sucked, and smashed a beer bottle over my head.

The beer bottle was fake, BTW. It was made out of sugar and whatnot and just shattered instantly. I collapsed and laid on the stage motionless while Brick called the rest of the band up to begin their set. The guitar player (who I also am in a band with, Brick being his side project) played the first song with his foot on me, and kicked me around a few times before I grabbed the edge of the stage and pulled myself off. I stumbled through the crowd grabbing my head milking what just happened.

It was all part of the show. My complete and utter failure on the ukulele translated to a better performance for the band, so it kinda worked out well that I bombed. It was weird though. I had practiced the song a lot. I had it down, and I have played hundreds of shows in front of thousands of people. Yet, when I got up to perform and sing by myself, I was crippled by fear. I guess it's a whole lot different when you're playing with a band, than when you are going solo.

That has to bee the weirdest first time performance that I have ever heard of.

19. "BeZo" t was weird though. I had practiced the song a lot. I had it down, and I have played hundreds of shows in front of thousands of people. Yet, when I got up to perform and sing by myself, I was crippled by fear. I guess it's a whole lot different when you're playing with a band, than when you are going solo.

Or you could be like me and, despite years of performing experience and having been playing the song for over a year, completely forget the lyrics to the song you're performing in church in front of all your parents' and grandparents' friends. This happened to me last week.

20. I had a lot of chances to play in front of a large crowd. BUT I turned them down because OF COURSE I'm introverted and socially awkward. But I have played in front of family. And even that was scary for me. But it turned out molto bene! Very good

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!