What Inspired You to Play Uke?

1. 5 years ago

I personally had no big life changing revelation. I was just wondering around YouTube one night and stumbled across a random Ukulele cover. I loved the ukes sound and got addicted. That started my first "Youtube Ukulele Binge" and I ended up looking at different covers and instrumentals for hours. The very next day I went to a music store and bought one.

So what's you guys story?

2. Hum, 5 years ago, I finished my studies, wanted to play music again (I stopped during my studies) but wanted to try something else.
    So I take a guitar and... Raaah my finger are to small.
    Then, I saw a Julia Nunes video
    I immediatly ordered a ukulele

3. I saw a girl play ukulele at a talent show back at junior high. It wasn't until now that I realized that I want to play.

4. Julia Nunes! I love her style and her voice and one day I persuaded my older brother to buy me a little $60 uke from a local music store. The rest is history. I am now the proud owner of a soprano and concert acoustic/electric uke

5. Ah ,

Hearing Iz play What A Wonderful World on ukulele just made me tear up and as soon as I saw it, I wanted to learn how to play that song. After awhile I heard a bunch of other songs with ukulele in it, and wanted to play those too. My favourite song to play now is Bohemian Rhapsody in the style of Jake Shimabukuro. (:

6. Great question!

My 15-year-old son bought a $55 uke with his first paycheck from his first job this summer. I have no idea why he bought it, I guess he just thought it was cool. He doesn't know how to play it or anything. Anyway, I started looking at books and websites for him to help him if he wanted to learn, and I got interested in it myself! Mine came in the mail this past Tuesday and I already have so many songs printed out to learn that I have a 3-ring binder all made up and everything. I was playing "Hallelujah" pretty evenly by the end of the first day. That was encouraging.

Much different from when I tried to learn guitar. I'm only 4'11" and my hands are very small, so I had a hard time reaching chords and getting comfortable getting my arm around the instrument. The ukulele fits me quite well! (I also have a smaller guitar on layaway, but that's another story for another forum...)

7. The day I turned 42 (THE ANSWER!) I was walking past a music store. They did not have any ukuleles.

So I decided I had to get one!

I know, I don't get it either.

I almost got a tumbi, but I figured I could learn to play more on a uke.

8. During the end of school, every Friday two kids with ukuleles walked around playing songs. I gave them 15 cents.

Then a year later, I wanted to start playing music because it's good for my brain.
    I was broke, but my sister was willing to give me a gift. So I chose the cheapest instrument that I would enjoy, then I got it on ebay.

It's also easy to carry around.

9. For me - had been playing guitar for twenty years. Watched the George Harrison memorial concert when it was first on, saw Joe Brown ending the show on ukulele singing I'll See You In My Dreams - a tribute to his old mate (George of course loved the uke)

I went and bought one the next day!

10. thongar

11 Aug 2012 Moderator

"shugabella" I personally had no big life changing revelation. I was just wondering around YouTube one night and stumbled across a random Ukulele cover. I loved the ukes sound and got addicted.

I don't really have a big story - but I love playing different instruments - and like you, I've always loved the sound of ukuleles and decided to buy one myself.

11. my freind an i which are now in a band both love jason mraz and caleb hawley. look them up and tell me what you think!

12. I don't really have a story. I got a ukulele completely on a whim. I'm very musically inclined (guitar/piano/trombone/years of music theory), so I guess you could say it's an extension of that, but I don't really know why I got it. I ordered one online since I had some cash lying around from a summer job. First song I learned was Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World, and it's still one of my favorite songs to play.

13. My wife and I bought my 1-1/2 year old (at the time) son a Cars guitar and I started messing around with it. I tried playing guitar as a teenager but found the 6 strings to be way too complex for my brain (or my stubby fingers?). My wife was going to buy me a gutair for Christmas because of how often I was goofing around with my son's guitar. I told her "No, buy me a ukulele." I figured it only had 4 strings instead of 6, so why not? She bought me one for Christmas, and I really love playing it.

14. You want a cliche answer? Hawaii! Before I went, I wanted to get a uke for my son, but when I got there, I fell in love with that instrument. My son can use it once in a while now.

15. I bought one and I couldn't just let it sit there.

16. 4 years ago

Charlie McDonnell. He made it look SO FUN to the point where I had dreams about a ukulele. SO OBVIOUSLY I had to get one!
    http://www.charliemcdonnell.com
    THANK YOU YOUTUBE!

17. "Molto bene" Charlie McDonnell. He made it look SO FUN to the point where I had dreams about a ukulele. SO OBVIOUSLY I had to get one!

Wow! He sure had an effect on you! :-)
    What's your favorite song or cover of his?

18. "shugabella"

"Molto bene" Charlie McDonnell. He made it look SO FUN to the point where I had dreams about a ukulele. SO OBVIOUSLY I had to get one!

Wow! He sure had an effect on you! :-)
    What's your favorite song or cover of his?

I don't have a favorite cover...BUT I love his songs Melody for Melody and Time to Reply. Both really pretty songs on the ukulele! He's also in a band called Chameleon Circuit that is a Trock band (Time Lord Rock aka Doctor Who songs)

19. During the summers I work at a summer camp in the Northwest. A few summers ago, we had a camper from Hawaii who brought his uke with him. I had him show me a few songs, then when I went to Hawaii myself, I picked one up before leaving.

20. I once went to a show called "The Bohemian Non-Linear Guide to Love and Other Things She May Be Perceived As". You can likely imagine what kind of thing it was just from the name- basically, a night of vaudeville from some strange and wonderful people. Anyway, on the night I was there, one of the acts didn't show up, so they grabbed one of their friends from the audience and she played Britney Spears' "Toxic" on a ukulele as a gorgeous little plinky plonky blues song. It was really wonderful.

And I thought, hey! I'd like to play hilariously inappropriate songs in surprising and different ways! And here I am.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!