Proper D Chord?

1. 6 years ago

I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere on the site. I searched and didn't find it. Is there a "proper" fingering for a D cord? I bar the top three strings.

2. thongar

15 Jan 2013 Moderator

I would't say there's a right/wrong to how a chord is played, as long as it's comfortable/feels right, then it's right.

I usually play a D chord with 3 of my fingers though (1st, 2nd and 3rd), rather than barring. I find that barring the D chord makes chord changes slower.

3. "thongar" I would't say there's a right/wrong to how a chord is played, as long as it's comfortable/feels right, then it's right.

I usually play a D chord with 3 of my fingers though (1st, 2nd and 3rd), rather than barring. I find that barring the D chord makes chord changes slower.

I'm the exact opposite. I actually find that barring means faster chord changes for me, but its all personal preference. there really isnt a right or wrong way as long as you are comfortable.

4. I absolutely hate the D chord. It feels so clumsy and awkward.

I usually just wing it and play a C6, but if it's really necessary, I'll use my thumb.

5. u can also play a B shape chord on the 5th fret, its an alternative but its an octave up so it doesn't sound right with all songs, but it can be much easier to play for some people

6. thongar

20 Jan 2013 Moderator

"Toasterp" I absolutely hate the D chord. It feels so clumsy and awkward.

I usually just wing it and play a C6, but if it's really necessary, I'll use my thumb.

If you keep playing it, you'll be more comfortable with it and it won't feel so 'clumsy and awkward'.

C6 doesn't sound anything like D so I don't know why you would want to play that instead of a D. Best to learn the D chord now than hate it even more later on.

7. "thongar" If you keep playing it, you'll be more comfortable with it and it won't feel so 'clumsy and awkward'.

C6 doesn't sound anything like D so I don't know why you would want to play that instead of a D. Best to learn the D chord now than hate it even more later on.

I agree, as it's such a frequent chord you may as well learn it now, rather than develop a bad habit. I personally prefer using three fingers over barring, and when you're just starting out you may benefit from putting your fingers on a diagonal, rather than trying to line them up (e.g your index finger closest to the first fret, then your middle finger tucked in behind it slightly further down on the next string, then your ring finger close to the second fret on the E string - if that makes any sense).

8. The way i prefer to do the D chord is ''barring'' the 3 strings with my middle finger. Despite my tiny t-rex hands. I initially found using 3 fingers to do the D chord to be too cramped.

9. I have sausage fingers, so 3 fingers is a bit cramped for me. I use 2 fingers (bar 3&4, and index finger on 2)

10. I barre the 3 strings with my middle finger, which leaves my index finger free for a quicker change of chord. In some songs I have found that you can get away with barring all 4 strings, but just strum the G, C and E strings, try that, but obviously it depends which song you are playing. There is no right or wrong way to do most things on the uke, you need to just go with what you feel most comfortable with.

11. I use my index fingers on C and E, and my middle finger on G

12. Guys, there's no mystery on the D (major) chord, simply bar the 2nd fret with the 1st finger and put the 4th or 3rd finger on 5th fret of the A string, in my opinion (as a mainly guitar player) this shape makes a much richer chord, without repetitions of notes/tones. You may realize this follows the (main) C major shape... Also there's no need of much speed for doing so, what do you think about it?

13. JaxX

25 Sep 2013 Moderator

I agree, but it's not "that" easy to play this chord when you start to play.

Your 2225 D chord requires some training to play... barre chord + use of your little finger:
    -image-

In any case there are many options to play this chord : D chords on the uke

14. 5 years ago

I prefer the index barre on the bottom three strings most of the time.

A bit of a thread drift here:
    Coming from a guitar background, I have always used the labels "up/down/high/low/top/bottom..."to describe pitch. To me, "up the neck" means towards the bridge. The top string is the first string...
    Now I come to talk about a ukulele or a 5 string banjo, which are both in re-entrant tuning, so the bottom string is no longer the lowest pithed. Could someone tell me how these terms apply to the ukulele.

15. I play it both ways. I prefer to bar it with my middle finger and arch it up so that I'm not touching the A string, but I might use the three fingers if I'm coming off an E, or if I can think fast enough, if I'm going to have to go to an E. I have not been playing very long, so I'm just learning, and there are chords that are hard for me to hit. But I don't want to limit myself, so I just work at them until I get them. The D was one of those, but I've specifically worked on hitting that D, and now it I can slide into it pretty smoothly both ways. For me, the F and the G are pretty easy to hit, so I'll practice going into chords and out of chords, into and out of the F and the G so that I only have to concentrate on one of them. The same with the E. I've bounced between the D and the E, into the F and the G so many times, that I can almost do it in my sleep. I just start slow, and keep doing it until I'm fast.

or Sign Up to reply!