How Chronic Is Your UAS (Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome)?

1. 7 years ago

I have 3... so far:

a cheap lil Kohala Soprano (my first) named Harold
    my baaaaby tenor Makala (my second) named Jeremy
    my Guitalele (my third) unnamed so far...

in the future I definitely wanna buy a better quality tenor uke (not that im unhappy with Jeremy). I also wanna get two good quality baritone ukes. one for regular GCEA tuning and another for GCEA tuning but dropped one octave down.

So....... how chronic is your UAS?

2. I regularly suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) to begin with. I have a dozen stringed instruments, a half a dozen amps, seven cabs, and everything in between. My live pedal-board is worth more than my vehicle. I have electric basses, and acoustic bass, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, a full PA rig capable of running sound in a medium sized bar (sub woofer and rack setup, the whole 9 yards), and I have a trailer to move all my gear.

That said, yes, I do have a problem. I really like my ukulele, but I do want another one. I'm literally on the fence about having a local builder buy a hunk of Koa and build me a ukulele. I am fond of his work, since he made a guitar for a friend of mine. If I wasn't having some of the problems I have to address in my life right now, I would be putting money down to have a custom ukulele built.

3. I played guitar for years and was able to keep myself in check...barely.

I had no idea when I bought my first ukulele that it was a sickness! But with a great shop nearby that has an incredible selection, I feel my UAS getting worse by the day. The Oscar Schmidt 6 and 8 string models are calling me.

4. "BeZo" I regularly suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) to begin with. I have a dozen stringed instruments, a half a dozen amps, seven cabs, and everything in between. My live pedal-board is worth more than my vehicle. I have electric basses, and acoustic bass, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, a full PA rig capable of running sound in a medium sized bar (sub woofer and rack setup, the whole 9 yards), and I have a trailer to move all my gear.

Wow! I'm impressed! Youre my hero! :-)

5. Luckily, trying to master the uke is allowing me to manage my UAS! however those evil people at the Claremont Folk Music Center with their wall of ukuleles are right down the street.

6. Currently at a count of 17 - pretty bad!

7. Under control. I have two, the Evergreen F-211br cheapie and a slightly more expensive, but still cheap Mahalo UK-201. No real desire to buy another until I'm satisfied that I have caught the Uke addiction and just don't want something to noodle around with.

It also helps that I live accross town from the only music store in town, that I know of, that sells Ukuleles.

8. I'm with BeZo on this one. Not quite gear in general for me, but just instruments. I'm making that my lifelong collection-- a really cool one, as far as collections go, if I do say so myself. I have five guitars (2 acoustic, 2 electric, 1 hybrid), two keyboards (one crappy one from many years back, and one sick one that's also full recording and sound station), two ukuleles, a mandolin, a banjo, a bass, and a big old african hand drum. After all that I've got my baby grand piano, my drumset, a small steel drum and a handful of random touristy instruments from different places. Oh, and my two alto saxes from back in my school band days. I tend to spend my money mainly on instruments and I think about the money I make in terms of how many instruments I could buy with it, what kinds, how nice they are, etc...

Next up: a Kamoa electric uke, a dulcimer, and a theremin. Random? You bet.

9. I put on the brakes. I have a banjo, bass, and uke.

10. Getting worse...

I have a soprano uke, an acoustic guitar, an acoustic 12-string, an electric guitar, a hybrid guitar, and a mandolin. Right now I'm considering getting a tenor uke, but I want to keep it on hold until I get good enough to really justify it.

11. Well I have 2 ukes. One concert and one soprano that's part guitalele. I also have a guitar. BUT I am looking into buying a mandolin and a banjolele. So it's pretty under control...FOR NOW

12. 8 months ago

I have 12 ukuleles one guitalele, one guitar, two short scale basses, two keyboards, one keytar, one piano, one organ, a full set of harmonicas, a jews harp, a slap top cajon, and my husband has six guitars and a banjo.

I'd like to get a harp ukulele, a transparent outdoor ukulele, and a sopranissimo ukulele yet but don't need any of them...well maybe the harp ukulele but that's it.

13. Edited 8 months ago by cassidytx

this is exactly what I was thinking about

ok so I have 2 ukuleles

• makala soprano light blue burst dolphin ukulele named Barbara
    • alvarez concert mahogany ru22c ukulele- doesn't have a name yet

I am thinking about getting a new one but with the alvarez being so expensive I haven't got a new one yet. I wanna get like an electric... any good recommendations?

14. In 4 years I've amassed 12 ukuleles. It might be a problem, but they're so cheap (relative to any of the other instruments I play) and they make great wall decorations! (LOL)

Until now, my Fender Montecito Tenor Uke was my favorite; but it's just so pretty I hate leaving the house with it. I just got a Kala Travel Tenor for Christmas and it's amazing. Acoustic/Electric and super thin and lightweight. I'm amazed by the fullness of the sound in such a thin instrument. Highly recommend. My husband builds guitar pedals for a living and we have quite a collection of pedals between the two of us. Plugging this thing into a pedal board and rocking on it is quite an amazing experience!

15. I have recently thought about a baritone solid body electric tuned like bass but up an octave like the Luna acoustic.

or Sign Up to reply!