What Inspired You to Play Uke?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

"marzinix" Julia Nunes! I love her style and her voice....

LOL same here. And also Jimmy Stafford from Train. My wife is a huge Train fan and when Save Me San Francisco came out she pegged Hey Soul Sister as a mega-hit before it got any radio play. I wonder how many people bought ukes because of that song....

3. My grandpa died when I was really young, so I didn't get to know him very well. I was looking around in our old house and found his ukulele. I thought if I learned to play it I could have something in common with him. It's around forty-six years old and I named it Old Lee after gramps. I play his ukulele to this day.

4. This summer I just finished 5 years of studying parttime while working fulltime, and I was itching to do something with my hands rather than my head. While I was casting around for something to take up with my new spare time, I remembered a gig I went to about 20 years ago by a band called the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, so I googled them to see if they were still around, and they most certainly were still around! So I thought, why not try it? I'm not a naturally musical person and have never played an instrument, so I bought a cheap and cheerful uke from amazon for 25 quid (so if I was complete rubbish at it, it wouldn't be money down the drain), and have named him George (formby, harrison, hinchcliff). Well, me and George are getting along just fine! I'm surprised at how easy it is to pick up, and how much fun it is. One of the best inspirations I've ever had!

5. I had a birthday coming up and they were way cheaper and much more portable than a guitar...

6. I actually play drums if my instrument of choice. However to answer you question. About 6 months ago my father died.I grew up on a small island in south west florida. My father loved island type music loved that sound. So as I'm driving back home from orlando to the island I'm upset crying as one would do i heard this song. Somewhere over the rainbow/what a beautiful world by iz. I said then and there i said i was going to learn to play this little thing if it kills me. For my father he would of loved it. So that is why.

7. I learned that you could play Legend of Zelda stuff on the ukulele. Why wouldn't I after I found that out. :3

8. Julia Nunes
    end of story

9. I have always loved the sound and the looks of this amazing instrument. In my favorite movie, "Some Like It Hot", Marilyn Monroe played uke.
    My idol is George Harrison. I love him, he's probably my whole life. When I'm happy, I think of him, when I'm sad, I think of him. I already knew that his favorite instrument was uke, but I decided to ask one to sort of a Santa Claus that we have in Italy when I went to Paul McCartney's concert in November 2011: he suddenly took a uke and told us the story of George and his uke, and then he played "Something". That was probably the moment when I cried the most in my whole life. So, as a tribute to him I asked it and got it exactly 1 year ago (indeed, today we're celebrating our first year together ).
    From that day on, I taught to myself how to play it. Now he's my little pride I called him "George Harold Harrison II The Ukulele" (known as George). It has the shape of an electric guitar.
    I love it! There are no words to decribe how!
    I'm a song writer and right yesterday I wrote my first song on the uke! Both George and I are so proud Now little George is on my legs and we're going to play a bit!

10. I've always admired the fellows who walk around my school during passing period playing the ukulele and singing beautiful songs. They're like wandering bards and minstrels bringing beauty to our weary souls.
    So when my friend and I started singing a duet of "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men, I decided we should have some accompaniment! I went off and bought a beautiful uke and now we can sing with some background music.
    But now it's escalating, and I want to woo the person I love by my ukulele, singing to him and strumming to him, which I found out he immensely enjoys.

11. I got a uke, from my cousin who never played it, so i bought it off him and my life would never be the same :o i loved the sound and my uke is now my best friend. It relaxs me i feel at home when i play it

12. My work is strongly stress. I working as a manager. And I found that I really need some thing good to play - like guitar, flute or something else. I asked my friend - he's a guitarist - he always carring a heavy guitar ( acoustic or electric) and I dont want something like that. I searching for something small -easy to learn - easy to play - and look funny
    He carrying me to music store. And I searching for a Ukulele. It's confused alot when I look up a guitar as the same price - it's amazing. My ukulele is Paxphil - 60$ (as 1.200.000 vnd) -as that price I could find a good guitar to play. But this uku is so funny, i mean her size and her voice So ...that ! I'm now a victim of Ukulele

13. Well I've been playing the guitar for quite a while. But Sometimes my fingers are too small for some chords. Then I watched a video by Emblem 3, it's called Indigo. I saw drew playing the ukulele. It sounded good and it looks fun to play. So on Christmas I asked my sister to buy me one. Now I'm enjoying playing it. It's really fun. When I get the hang of it, I might buy a new ukulele. But that won't be anytime soon though.

14. Jack Johnson. He's my favorite music artist and has pretty much inspired me to write some of the music that I've made. Long story short I heard the song "Breakdown" and wondered what instrument he used... sure enough it was a ukulele and I just had to get one =P

Love some of the other stories on here though! Using a ukulele to help get away from a stressful job I never took to mind on how much it relaxes oneself while playing until I read that.

15. I've played piano off and on for forty years, messed with a friends guitar and always thought about playing a guitar. Then on you tube heard a rendition of " I'm yours" on the uke and had to go to the store and check them out. I play this thing every day and watch you tube videos on techniques, vamps, chord progressions etc. I've had it since Christmas and take it wherever I go ( can't do that with my baby grand)! that's my story!!

16. I've always had an interest in playing ukulele since about my junior year of high school. My boyfriend knew that I wanted one but he thought I wouldn't be a serious player and abandon it after a short time. He surprised me by giving me a really high quality concert uke for my birthday back in November, and now he's jealous because I spend more time playing it than I spend time with him!

17. Nice
    In Vietnam, 80% student (male) know about guitar and 40% know how to play guitar. We love stringed instrument like guitar. If you make a research, you can find out that we love guitar alot. Guys know how to open a girl's heart with a guitar ^^!

18. We go to the Philly Folk Fest every year. Many campsites have jams all throughout the night. Our campsite "Camp Woody" didn't have many people in it that played instruments, and I wanted to be able to "entertain" the camp with some sing alongs around the firepit. Uke seemed small enough to transport, heard there were a lot of 3 chord songs, so went for it. 1 year and a half later, I am now on my 4th uke, discovered that I can sing, and am now writing songs. Someone once referred to my ukulele as my "gateway instrument." Absolutely true!

19. Frank Woodley in the Lano and Woodley stage performance of The Island!! Near the start Frank picks up a ukulele and plays the Island 'theme' song and I knew from that moment I wanted to learn.

20. It brought back a sense of culture to me, being millions of miles from Guam just makes it feel a bit closer.

21. This video, actually.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!