Choosing the right chords

1. 2 years ago

Hi guys!
    Lately i've been trying to write tabs for a song and i'm very satisfied with the first half of the song, but my problem is, i don't know anything about music theory, and that makes it difficult to choose the chords for the rest of the song. Those familliar chords that i know can't be applied anymore. So, must i study music theory? ( which might take months or years), or is there any other ways to learn how to choose suitable chords for a song? Thanks in advance.
    P/S: I'm a newbie here, hope to make friends with everyone :)

2. Hey, I get this exact question a lot from students. You want to start learning about Major Scale construction, Diatonic Harmony (chords within a key), Inversions and Secondary Dominants (7th chords that are outside of the key)

There is always your ears but without a understanding of basic theory principles like scale and chord construction and triads it you will hit a wall at some point. I like to show my students the theory choices or options as it applies to the songs they are writing. Totally the best way to learn it.
    Thanks, Jeff
    www.jeffrey-thomas.com

3. Thanks very much, sure i'm gonna check that out!

or Sign Up to reply!