Mitchell MU-70 (Concert)

1. 7 years ago

Appearance: 8/10
    It has a nice, natural look, and the binding and body inlay keep it from being plain.

Price/Value: 9/10
    for $100, this is the uke i would recommend to anyone. Its durable, inexpensive, and classy.

Sound: 8.5/10
    This ukulele has a very full, well rounded sound and is very clear and audible. However, you get what you pay for, and this is in no way a replica of the sound of a more expensive model.

Overall: 8.5/10
    This is the perfect starter ukulele. it looks and sounds pretty, is inexpensive, and will last awhile. I would recommend this to anyone wishing to start playing.
    PROS:
    inexpensive
    clear tone
    looks nice
    captures "hawaiian" sound effectively

CONS:
    its not a high end model, and doesn't sound like one.
    no electronics

2. Very helpful review! are you gonna post a video so we can here the sound?

3. 5 years ago

I love mine, and agree with the first poster's rating on it As far as not sounding like the nicer models- the sound isn't as vibrant as the nice ones, not as full and rich, but still a good, bright sound.

Upgrading to Aquila strings made a bit of a difference for me and helped with the sound.

4. I agree. I just bought the Mitchell MU-70 concert, moving up from a Hilo 2500. It's the difference between a toy and a real musical instrument. I think it's important to start with an instrument that produces a decent sound. My Hilo 2500 soprano cost $28 bucks and doesn't sound *bad* for $28, but even though I'm a small female, I found it hard to fit my fingers in the right places to make chords correctly. When I moved up to this Mitchell MU-70 concert size, it was immediately easier to play and get decent sounding results. I got mine new at Guitar Center for $79. I can see where a person might become discouraged playing a bad instrument; no matter how hard you try you'll never get a really good sound out of it. I think the spruce top of the MU-70 makes a big difference in the sound. It's also a very attractive instrument, looks just like the guitar I owned before I "downsized" to uke. I'm thinking of moving to a park model home, which is less than 500 square feet, so ukes are just the thing when storage space is an issue. Of course, with UAS, I may need a second park model home just to store the ukuleles....

or Sign Up to reply!