Thoughts on a mystery instrument?

1. 5 years ago

Hi, I hope I'm doing this whole posting thing correctly, but anyhow. I had a family member who knows vaguely of my ukulele interest proudly present me with an "Ukulele" they found at a garage sale. The problem with this is that it doesn't quite resemble anything I have been able to do research on. Here are the features of it:
    1- It is a standard soprano uke size.
    2-No brand markings anywhere (Inside or out)
    3-Six strings which look identical to guitar strings.
    4-Tuning pegs on the back of the head instead of the sides.
    5-It seems pretty old.
    I haven't found any six string ukuleles that are soprano size, also it is so out of tune that I have no idea how it was tuned previously. All of the strings are evenly spaced-correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen usually the strings which are "doubled up" are closer together. Any thoughts or anything that you have would be appreciated; or if I read the forum rules wrong and shouldn't have posted this where I posted it, apologies.

2. I did some looking around on this and I couldn't find anything either. All of the 6 or 8 string ukulele's that I found were concert or tenor sized.

It might be possible that this is a very small children's guitar and not a ukulele.

or Sign Up to reply!