1. 5 years ago

hey! i would like to learn how to play the violin and i'm planning to buy one this year. any tips and guide on how to select a good one? and any site suggestion for like chords or notes of songs? thanks!

2. thongar

22 Jan 2014 Moderator

"granger_43" hey! i would like to learn how to play the violin and i'm planning to buy one this year. any tips and guide on how to select a good one? and any site suggestion for like chords or notes of songs? thanks!

Hi there! The best way to find a 'good' violin is to go into a music store and try them out yourself! Considering you're starting off, I wouldn't buy anything super expensive/mid-range unless you were considering taking violin more seriously. Ask the shopkeepers for the beginner/start off violins, and see if you like the sound/feel.

I also haven't found any good sites that teach violin. I find violin to be one of the harder instruments to learn on your own. So my suggestion would be to find a violin tutor. After you know the basics/become more familiar with them, it'll be easier to learn on your own. Beginner books are probably the best thing to get when you're starting off with violin.

Hope this helps!

3. thanks! right, i guess i have to go for a not-so-cheap one first. i could anyway go for another expensive just in case i wanna make to the next level. oh well feel like i'm gonna have a hard time learning, but i hope i would enjoy the process. i'm excited! the thing that i'm worried about is that i'm not used to unfretted or fretless instruments and of course the strokes of the bow. since i dont have one yet, might as well bond with my tenor uke for the mean time.

or Sign Up to reply!