Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

1. 4 years ago

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain will be touring the USA soon, and coming to Mondavi Center at UC Davis. It seems they have a tune they perform where they invite audience participation, "Relentlessly In C." We can bring our ukes into the hall and play along with that one tune. One of the directors of the Mondavi Center taught my youngest daughter to dance (ballet and modern) and they worked together in a kid's dance troupe, and my older daughter was one of her ballet and modern teachers (mainly for the youngest kids) at her dance school. Anyway, she knew I am a musician, and discovered I play ukulele, so I have been asked to lead an outdoor rehearsal of "Relentlessly..." prior to the concert. (!)

A San Francisco uke player will perform on the outdoor stage for a half hour, then I and three additional uke players (I get to choose) will lead all the uke players in a ten minute run of the tune, then she returns to entertain until the concert hall opens for us to enter.

I need to get this tune down!

2. Last night was the show. Uni and her Ukulele performed on an outdoor stage for the audience waiting to go into the theater, and twice during her performance, she got to take a break while I 9and a couple other members of Na Aikane) led those with ukuleles in a rehearsal of "Relentlessly In C."

-image-

After the end of the outdoor show, we noticed David Suich a soprano uke player with the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain wandering about, and for information about bars in Davis that they could close that evening, he was happy to sign my uke.

-image-

3. After the show, my wife and I were led to the backstage dressing room, where one of their handlers introduced me to the members of UOGB to get the rest of their autographs on my uke.

-image-

Will Grove-White had signed my uke, then passed it to George Hichliffe. Will asked about the Oasis humidifier, and as George signed my uke (then played it) I told them of Sacramento's heat and how it dries ukes quickly.

The uke was handed to Hester Goodman who passed it to Kitty Lux who gave it to Peter Brooke Turner, but before I could talk with them, the members were asked to leave the dressing room and join Mondavi Center major donors on stage for a catered food, wine, and spirits reception. My wife and I were asked to join the celebration (and to allow me to get the final two autographs).

Members posed with donors while others found drinks.

-image-

Here are Jonty Bankes, Richie Williams, a donor, behind him is Peter Brooke Turner, in front is Kitty Lux, then George Hinchliffe, and Will Grove-White.

4. Jonty was conversing with a donor, but Richie was happy to sign the ukulele.

-image-

That's Jonty coming up to get his turn in signing the uke.

-image-

Jonty likes to point at the person he poses with in photos.

-image-

Until the U-Bass came out, Jonty played an acoustic/electric bass guitar with UOGB. When I told him I played my mahogany fretless U-Bass with Na Aikane, he delighted in telling me of the metal strings he uses on his spruce top U-bass.

5. My John Gill traveller tenor solid mahogany and spruce ukulele with a greeting from the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain and all the members' first names autographed on its front:

-image-

A closer look at the top:

-image-

6. 3 years ago

I've added a couple more signatures to my uke. Jake played at the Crest Theatre, and he signed it:

-image-

Here it is with his signature:

-image-

7. Recently Daniel Ho was promoting Yamaha guitars at a local music shop. I caught a photo of him playing my Yamaha APX-8a:

-image-

After he played my guitar, he signed the uke:

-image-

8. 4 weeks ago

It's so easy to install a humidifier inside our guitar. I'm also a humidifier but it is not a branded humidifier. And, it's working perfectly.
    http://bestdehumidifier.net/

or Sign Up to reply!