Weird habits since you started playing?

1. 7 years ago

Since I've started playing uke, I developed the weird habit of wrapping my middle finger in medical tape, because my cuticles are always torn off and/or bleeding. What about you guys? Does anyone else do this? Any other habits?

2. what's causing your cuticles to bleed?
    I was tempted to use some tape or a bandaid when i was playing my guitalele, just cuz of the thicker strings. but i never have wrapped my finger for the uke.
    but other than that i havent developed any other habits. (that i can think of at the moment)...

3. thongar

21 Oct 2012 Moderator

"rootsauce" Since I've started playing uke, I developed the weird habit of wrapping my middle finger in medical tape, because my cuticles are always torn off and/or bleeding. What about you guys? Does anyone else do this? Any other habits?

That doesn't sound good at all. :/ Are you sure you're not pressing onto the strings with too much pressure? After playing for awhile your fingers should be able to develop calluses, making your fingers tougher - and then the strings won't dig into your skin as much. Playing stringed instruments shouldn't cause your skin to tear off or bleed, so I think it might be something to do with the way you're playing, or maybe you've just got really delicate skin.

4. "thongar"

"rootsauce" Since I've started playing uke, I developed the weird habit of wrapping my middle finger in medical tape, because my cuticles are always torn off and/or bleeding. What about you guys? Does anyone else do this? Any other habits?

That doesn't sound good at all. :/ Are you sure you're not pressing onto the strings with too much pressure? After playing for awhile your fingers should be able to develop calluses, making your fingers tougher - and then the strings won't dig into your skin as much. Playing stringed instruments shouldn't cause your skin to tear off or bleed, so I think it might be something to do with the way you're playing, or maybe you've just got really delicate skin.

I meant on my right hand, actually. I'm a guitar player of 5 years, so my left hand has insane calluses, but my right hand doesn't. It's not even my fingertips, it's the cuticles (the skin next to your fingernails) that gets ripped off.

5. thongar

22 Oct 2012 Moderator

"rootsauce" I meant on my right hand, actually. I'm a guitar player of 5 years, so my left hand has insane calluses, but my right hand doesn't. It's not even my fingertips, it's the cuticles (the skin next to your fingernails) that gets ripped off.

How strange~! I'm going to say that you just have delicate skin. Maybe over time they won't bleed/rip off anymore.

6. "thongar"

"rootsauce" I meant on my right hand, actually. I'm a guitar player of 5 years, so my left hand has insane calluses, but my right hand doesn't. It's not even my fingertips, it's the cuticles (the skin next to your fingernails) that gets ripped off.

How strange~! I'm going to say that you just have delicate skin. Maybe over time they won't bleed/rip off anymore.

Yeah, I think I do. It's rougher in some places, and thin in certain places. So I don't really know haha.

7. 6 years ago

It actually sounds to me like you strum with the sides of your fingertips. I used to strum like that for a whole, but my fingers kept catching on the strings or even the ends of the frets that way, producing the same torn up fingers effect. If this is the case, then the solution is simply to find a strumming style that won't tear up your fingers. Good luck!

8. This is why I strum with my fingernails on the ukulele. Otherwise, the skin on my thumb or ring finger will start to peel eventually. Yeah, I guess tape would be the only option.

9. 5 years ago

When I'm walking around I practice strumming patterns on my "Air Uke"

10. 4 years ago

Announcing to everyone "I can play this on ukulele!" when a song comes on that i know how to play. OH and ive made people feel my calloused fingers i'm weird.

11. "curdle1200" Announcing to everyone "I can play this on ukulele!" when a song comes on that i know how to play. OH and ive made people feel my calloused fingers i'm weird.

Yeah I im pretty bad about that to, but I generally go beond that and proceeded to tell them every chord change as it happens and ruin the song for everyone.

12. I've picked up a couple... Firstly I have a constant need notify everyone in the room of chord progressionof a song in a very arrogant way like "Oh you think this song is chatchy do you? Well it's only a constant repeating of the common blues progression, New Orleans style to be presice" or " its only a common chord progression in Eb followed by a key change in the 8th measure". On top of that, also when I'm out on the streets with out my uke im always trying out new thing to use as picks like papers, cards, coffee cups and I use the fingers of my left hand as pretend strings. Lastly I now hate the song "over the rainbow" 'cause it's the only thing anyone ever asks me to play and I refuse to learn it because of that.

13. 3 years ago

I do all of this stuff: mostly the bleeding cuticles and making people feel my fingertips. I also do this thing where I learn a song/riff then spend hours and hours trying to "perfect it" and "make it sound better" and then when I play "my version" it sounds nothing like the original song.

I also imagine everyone with Jake Shimabukuro's accent. I'm a bit of a weirdo.

14. I try to find songs I can really "Rock Out" on when I play. I love a good ballad also. I rarely play anything Hawaiian. I have also started wearing hats when I play.

15. I just randomly start making chord shapes on an "air ukulele"

16. I just randomly start making chord shapes on an "air ukulele"

17. E,since I play uke,I usually play a "air ukulele" to assuming that I'm playing the uke when I'm on my way home or company.

18. 2 years ago

I do this weird thing with the G chord. Instead of 1st finger on C, 2nd finger on A, and 3rd finger on E, I go 1st finger on A, 2nd finger on C, and 3rd on E. Is it okay to do that?

19. It doesn't matter whether a surface has strings or anything that feels like strings, I will strum on it.

or Sign Up to reply!