To strap or not to strap

1. 5 years ago

When I first started playing the ukulele I could not keep the darn thing in place while I changed chords.

I watched vids, read online discussions, read books.

None of the advice helped and so I went the strap route. I have two ukes and each has a full-size strap (I'll talk about the elephant later).

As I struggled and researched, I learned a few things.

One is that a full strap needs some installation skills unless your instrument already has the hardware.

Another is that many ukers prefer the Uke Leash®, an innovative half-strap. http://ukeleash.com/

And I also learned that there are some who (jokingly) look down on those who need the support. It's so light and small, they say. How come you can't hold that little thing still, they ask. Why am I so much better than you, they imply. But they always use a cute emoticon so I know they aren't really that horrible.

So what's your story?

2. I just think it would help if you were playing standing up. Sometimes when I'm sitting down and playing, my ukulele slips. I'm not desperate to get one, but I think it would be useful!

3. thongar

1 Sep 2012 Moderator

'No, I look down on the weak and clumsy that need such devices'

That's the one I chose, but I don't actually look down on you guys. ;P

I don't strap because my ukuleles don't have a 'strap button' (Is that what it's called?). I play my ukes comfortably while sitting down anyway.

4. Yes, I think "strap button" is the phrase you are looking for.

They are easy to install. I'd be happy to help with that.

I found that having that support just helps me play better, which makes me happier.

I like happiness!

5. "pootsie" But they always use a cute emoticon so I know they aren't really that horrible.

Lol!!!

Pootsie you're a HORRIBLE person!!!....

^^^Did i use that right? hee hee hee! JK!!!

back to the topic!
    Whenever anyone says annnnything is super easy, chances are I cant do it. I prefer to use a strap. Especially since I like picking so much. You might say "I've seen plenty of people pick, strum, and juggle at the same time- and all without a strap!!!" But I'm a slow learner so I figure, Ill do whatever I'm comfortable with!

Ive wrapped yarn around my ukes at the body and around the headstock (under the strings) and I use my removable duffle bag straps as my uke strap(Poor folks are creative!) I use the yarn as a loop to attach the strap hooks to...

Ive never been a uke purist i.e. NO straps, NO picks, etc.
    I say when it comes to the Uke, do whatever the heck you want if that's what works for you!

6. HA! Silly peons. Strapless master race.

7. I don't foresee a time when I'll need to stand and play the Uke, which is probably when I would want a strap/leash. So I don't have one. But I'm solidly in the do what is comfortable for you camp.

8. thongar

2 Sep 2012 Moderator

"pootsie" Yes, I think "strap button" is the phrase you are looking for.

They are easy to install. I'd be happy to help with that.

I found that having that support just helps me play better, which makes me happier.

I like happiness!

Oh really? Come to Aus, and install one on my uke for me?

9. You cover airfare for me and the fams, and I'm there!

Or I could post a thread with detailed, easy-to follow instructions.

10. thongar

2 Sep 2012 Moderator

I think the second option sounds good.

11. I'm hesitant about getting strap buttons drilled into my uke, yet I'd jump at the chance to drill in a pickup. I have no idea why if they both require drilling into my uke!

12. "Joberst" I'm hesitant about getting strap buttons drilled into my uke, yet I'd jump at the chance to drill in a pickup. I have no idea why if they both require drilling into my uke!

Do you know how much Installed pick-ups or strap buttons would cost?(Just an approximate price) I've always wondered how much it would cost...

13. I walk and play and look down on others while I am not using a strap on my uke.

(Personally I would, but my uke didnt come with the pegs for a strap and I dont feel putting my uke through surgery to get one)

And what is a "Strap thong"????

14. "ukebeast17" And what is a "Strap thong"????

A thong-style strap is modeled after classical guitar straps. A loop goes over the players neck and then the strap goes under the body of the instrument to hook on the sound hole.

-image-

Jake Shimabukuro uses that kind of strap:

-image-

Now for those of you who look down on the weak and clumsy, tell Jake he doesn't know what he's doing hahaha

15. thongar

3 Sep 2012 Moderator

I only chose that option cos there wasn't a "I don't strap" option. :< I didn't know there were thong straps though. I'll probably end up getting one of those from somewhere...

16. As soon as our group started gigging standing up, a strap became a necessity. Playing for two hours gripping a uke to the chest is just no fun.

I've added strap buttons to mine as its nice to be totally hands free between songs to grab a drink or whatever.

17. "bazmaz" I've added strap buttons to mine as its nice to be totally hands free between songs to grab a drink or whatever.

No there is the REAL reason to use a strap

18. "shugabella"

"Joberst" I'm hesitant about getting strap buttons drilled into my uke, yet I'd jump at the chance to drill in a pickup. I have no idea why if they both require drilling into my uke!

Do you know how much Installed pick-ups or strap buttons would cost?(Just an approximate price) I've always wondered how much it would cost...

I don't know how much strap buttons cost, but I know that pickups are pretty expensive. The average pickup goes for around $125. I don't know if pickups built specifically for ukulele are less, but I found this one for ukes for just $66 : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shadow-Ukul ... 1409820.gc
    And unless you want to risk damaging your uke by installing it yourself, you will also have to pay to get it professionally installed, which can be anywhere from $60 to $80.

19. i have a uke leash and a uke thong. The uke leash i dont care for it seems a little awkward but the thong i love and as an extra bonus the uke seems to ring more. Im very happy with the uke thong and i highly recommend one

20. Where's the option for strap ambivalence?

Anyway, I just play when I'm lounging at my computer desk, so I don't really need anything to hang it on.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!