Callus Situation!

1. 6 years ago

I've had my uke for about 2 months and have been practicing religiously. First, how can I tell if I have developed calluses? The tips of my fingers seem more firm, but I don't see that much of a difference. Second, will I ever be able to moisturize my hands again? I'm a little hesitant of putting on lotion because I know adding moisture to dry skin softens it, and I wouldn't want to get rid of my hard callus building work!

2. First, you would be able to tell because your fingertips would seem harder. When you get calluses, you will notice that it doesn't hurt to really push down on the strings. With nylon strings, it isn't that big of an issue, but with metal strings like on a guitar, it makes a difference.

Second, calluses develop over time. If you are trying to build them up, I wouldn't moisturize. I personally don't, but I am a dude. Besides, lotions cause your hands to stop producing the natural oils that your skin produces. So, lotion creates a need for more lotion. You can break the cycle. Just play and don't worry about the lotion.

3. "BeZo" First, you would be able to tell because your fingertips would seem harder. When you get calluses, you will notice that it doesn't hurt to really push down on the strings. With nylon strings, it isn't that big of an issue, but with metal strings like on a guitar, it makes a difference.

Second, calluses develop over time. If you are trying to build them up, I wouldn't moisturize. I personally don't, but I am a dude. Besides, lotions cause your hands to stop producing the natural oils that your skin produces. So, lotion creates a need for more lotion. You can break the cycle. Just play and don't worry about the lotion.

I second this!

4. It takes more than two months to develop callouses. One way to tell if you have a callous is to pinch or make an indent on the tip of your finger with your nails. If there is a callous, then the skin will stay pinched or the indent will stay longer than if you did the same to soft skin.

5. You also do not need to moisturize your fingertips, but you can do the rest of your hands though!

6. you'll notice over more time that you finger tips will keep becoming firmer. And I personally always hated lotion on my hands so the issue with mousturizing was never really and issue. Also when I put lotion on another part of my body, i wash my hands afterwards. But that's just me...

7. Thanks guys! Stay away from the lotion and keep building those calluses

8. 9 months ago

I have several foot issues (bunions, hammertoe, pronation, and neuroma) and it is hard to find a shoe that I can walk in all day. Well, finally I did! I have Orthofeet's grey and red pair and they look and feel terrific and have great arch support. Will definitely look in to purchasing another pair.

or Sign Up to reply!