Ukulele with guitar strings experiment?

1. 7 years ago

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, forgive me if it's misplaced. Any chance I could get an opinion/some advice?

Experiment Number 1: Put Guitar Strings on Ukulele

Experiment Number 2: Play Beatles

2. The sound is pretty cool however keep in mind that ukuleles are not built to hold the tension that guitar strings apply to the neck. Especially on a cheaper instrument, doing this could have some very serious side effects including snapping your neck or headstock and over time the neck would almost definitely begin warping the neck. Remember that a guitar neck has a truss rod to readjust it after string tension begins warping the wood, ukuleles dont...

3. That's a really good point, I didn't think of that. Well at least the uke being used isn't expensive, nor would it be missed if it was ruined :P

4. "massahwahl" The sound is pretty cool however keep in mind that ukuleles are not built to hold the tension that guitar strings apply to the neck. Especially on a cheaper instrument, doing this could have some very serious side effects including snapping your neck or headstock and over time the neck would almost definitely begin warping the neck. Remember that a guitar neck has a truss rod to readjust it after string tension begins warping the wood, ukuleles dont...

This. Guitar strings need a lot more tension to be in tune than nylon strings do. Guitars have a truss rod set behind the fretboard to counteract the tension put on the neck by the strings. Putting guitar strings on your ukulele will definitely warp the neck over time, if not ruin it sooner with worse consequences.

Now, if you want to put guitar strings on a ukulele, I would go out and get a nylon set of guitar strings for a classical guitar and put them on your ukulele. Nylon strings don't need as much tension to be to pitch as metal strings. Essentially, you would just be putting fatter strings on your ukulele. That would be a good experiment. You should try that and let me (us) know how that works out.

5. I am actually in the process of building a Guitar Hero Baritone Uke. I plan to use guitar strings.

or Sign Up to reply!