What Inspired You to Play Uke?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 years ago

I had been watching a youtuber named Dodie Clark's videos for about 2-3 years and she played ukulele in most of her videos. I saw how nice she played and how beautiful all her songs were that i decided to get one myself and try it out.

3. Deleted 3 years ago by Gabi8778
  4. I sing and play different instruments for years now, but I felt like the instruments I had been playing weren't "mine". I felt happy about playing these, but something was missing. Years ago I randomly found a video of Dodie Clark on Youtube, and it was like YES THIS IS MUSIC THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO PLAY and... Here I am now. And thanks to that I discovered twenty one pilots. And my love for the uku is getting bigger and bigger everyday. Magic.

5. At first it was my sister, whom I love and admire, especially musically. She bought a uke on her vacation in Israel and taught herself. I wanted to but I didn't have the motivation. What gave me the final push was Tyler Joseph of twenty one pilots. I cherish this band very closely to my heart and I felt as though listening to their music wasn't enough. I wanted to experience it, to play it.
    the rest is history.

6. I'm obsessed with twenty one pilots and I wanted to play their songs so i learned! <///3

7. Dodie Clark!

8. besides vocals, i have little to no musical ability. i struggle to read sheet music, but i watch musicians (especially those in my school's band) with great admiration. i wanted to be able to play something. i was interested in the ukulele but wasn't sure whether or not it would be a waste of my money. if in the end i couldn't play, or learn to play it then i'd have spent the money for nothing. but i kept seeing covers with the uke and i got more and more interested. i did my research and finally decided to get one. so i did. it has been one of my greatest investments. i played it constantly and found websites like this one that have helped me learn.

9. i have been playing uke since i was in 4th grade( im in 8th now) so nearly 4 years:) i started playing because at the time i was obsessed with nevershoutnever. in all elementary school my sis used to play to the way to school and i became literally the biggest fan girl of him. i asked for a uke for my bday and got a concert lankai i think. i was very off and on playing my uke tho. in 8th grade i really really started playing more:)
    dodie clark is one of my favourite human beings too. i also love jon cozart and grace but my inspiration was christopher drew ingle

10. My sister got a uke as a birthday present, and, being the superfan of How I Met Your Mother that I am, I decided to learn how to play (and sing along) "La vie en rose". I kept going and, well, as they say, the rest is history :)

11. One day I was with my friend and I was wearing a onesie and my afro was super shaggy. I looked like an a grade stoner. I had a ukulele in my closet that I had never actually used and I was like "you know what would enhance this look? A ukulele." I grabbed it, took a few pictures, and suddenly realized that it would be cool as fuck if I could actually play it. I learned a few Steven Universe songs and the rest was history.

12. Deleted 3 years ago by Ve4021
  13. Nephew wanted to learn guitar (after seeing all of mine). Took him to the local music store to pick out a guitar that would fit him. Bright blue uke captures his eyes... Next thing you know, I'm paying for his and picking out my own..

14. I started playing out of spite. My best friend had been playing for a few years, and everyone at school loved when she played, so I took my brother's unused ukulele, stayed up till 3 AM and learned a song called Piazza New York Catcher by Belle and Sebastian. I went to school the next day to show everyone, but I wasn't very good, so no one cared, from then on its been my goal to be better at ukulele then my friend.
    I've been playing a little under a year now, I've performed at my middle school christmas assembly, taught 4th graders for extra credit, performed at my 8th grade graduation, small festivals with my friend, a coffee house with my mother(she's in a band, it was a song I wrote), and joined my high school band. I'm in the band with my best friend, and the teacher thought I was the one playing for years. That was the best moment, someone who has been playing for thirty years said I was better at playing then my friend, and that moment is why I started playing.
    To note: my friend and I are now the same level, and have friendly competition with our instruments, and we have our first high school concert this upcoming week where we'll be playing a ukulele duet solo thing together in the song Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man.

15. -image-

One can never have too many Ukuleles!

I received a Flying V SpongeBob Ukulele as a present for my birthday, back in 2011. But not because I played the Ukulele, because I was obsessed with SpongeBob SquarePants. :) I decided instead of just letting it lie around looking pretty, I'd actually learn how to play this thing! ;)
    5 years and 7 ukes later, here I am... a decent ukulele player. :D
    Now, I love learning new songs, sharing my tabs with other ukulele lovers and teaching Ukulele to my fellow WeThinkCode_ classmates. <3
    What an amazing instrument to learn. ;)
    Miriam "Ukulily" Studium

16. twentyonepilots

17. Check why people love ukulele ukulelebuzz

18. I saw Amanda Palmer live and she played the Ukulele Anthem and said everyone should play Ukulele so I bought one and started playing and I love it. It's what I look most forward to after a day at Uni. I think of new songs to play all the time and then I can't wait to get home and start playing.

19. i've never been a very musical person, but i've been interested in making it and playing something since i was a kid. But i never ended up making anything of that wish since i don't have anyone in my family who could teach me. I took up the piano when i was 13, it ended up being to hard and i didn't have the patience to learn it. Then my brother got interested in playing the guitar, which i thought seemed like a lot of fun, buuuut i have pretty small hands so i had a lot of trouble taking any complicated chords (i realize now i prolly could have with some practice). And then around my sixteenth birthday i was like "you know what? i wan't an ukulele, they sound cute and seems easy to get started with"! I got one and badamam, now i play and love it, planning on getting a tenor one really soon :)

20. The Stampeders "Sweet City Woman". My daughter went off to college, brought her guitar but left her uke at home, and I got a bug that I wanted to learn that song. I am a month in, can't do it yet, but I have about 10 chords in my repertoire now, and am getting better with strum patterns. And I enjoy it more than I thought I would.

21. Hello everyone, hope your all having a great time playing your Ukuleles.
    My reason for learning to play a ukulele is because I have freakishly tiny hands and fingers, I know people say that that doesn't matter but I am finding it do exasperating and disheartening.
    I wear the gloves of a four year old.
    I have always wanted to play the guitar but alas my hands and fingers won't stretch around to play cords at all.
    So I thought, I love the sound of a Ukulele so why not play something smaller with one of the most beautiful sounds I have heard.
    So I bought a Soprano Ukulele, it sounds amazing when it's strummed and, I can play the C Cord fine and can manage to stretch my hand and fingers just to the A Cord nd play that one too will take a bit of stretching so will keep on with that but trying to do an F cord is excruciating and, the same thing with the G Cord, I cannot manage to get my fingers to stay on the three frets at once with my thumb on the back of tge neck.
    I am crushed, there must be something I can do, as I am determined to master this disabling tiny hands and finger problem, even if it means trying to find finger extensions or make my own slip on prosthetic ones.
    I know that must sounds nuts but it's not.
    One of the men I used to worked with measured his two year old little girls hand against mine one day and, they were the same size, I even wear children's gloves.
    There must be something I can do as well as trying to stretch my fingers wrists etc.
    I cannot give up I love the Ukulele so much, I feel crushed right now.
    I bought a Dobro Lap Guitar and thats bad enough trying to balance it on my legs being small.
    So it would be amazing to be able to play my Soprano Ukulele like normal people do even if it means rubber tips.
    Do you think that would work maybe rubber tips like they use to count money etc I could maybe pad out the end to give me extra reach?
    Any Help would be greatly appreciated at this time.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!