What Inspired You to Play Uke?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 years ago

I used to live in New Zealand, right next to a nunnery. One of the nuns there, Sister Cabrini, played the ukulele and so she taught me. I loved it so much that my parents got me my Carlos uke for Christmas.

Best. Present. Ever.

3. Several things. I played Uke as a teenager, and learned from an Arthur Godfrey book. I stopped playing for 40 years.

I saw Petty Booka playing "Sophisticated Hula" on Ghoul A Go Go, a cool retro public access kids show.

Last year, a man at a old time baseball ga,e pulled one out and started playing.

There's a ukulele store about 4 miles from my house, and I got it in my head I wanted to play again. That was about a year ago, and it's been a great adventure ever since. Not only did I get an therapeutic instrument, get to sing again, I got a new social circle.

Highly recommended!

4. A girl at church camp when I was in junior high had one back in the early in the 70's I thought it was pretty cool. About twenty years ago I had the opportunity to buy one on the internet. I bought a book but hated playing most of the songs. Some I knew because my mom or grandma sang them but they were not my cup of tea. I'd make it through the book about once every couple of years then get disgusted because I had songs in my mind that I wanted to play but couldn't. This winter I managed to look online found a few websites and this one stuck with me. I also checked into You-Tube tutorials. I have been playing every day since. Two of the things that drew me here was the ability to transpose so I can sing in a key I am most comfortable and the other is the ability to find and contribute songs that are not stereotypically ukulele songs. I'd have to say it is this site that has inspired me most of all. This is the best place to play if you aren't able to learn from any real live humans.

5. twenty one pilots and dodie clark lmao

6. Deleted 3 years ago by Muffintut
  7. Edited 3 years ago by Waterbooper

@Muffintut twenty one pilots and dodie clark lmao

Same with the Dodie thing c: I already play guitar so I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to learn, and ukes are just so cute!

8. I was hanging out with my friend in her dorm room and her roommate had just gotten a ukulele. I played with it a little while and knew by the time I left the building that I had to have my own.

9. I had been watching a youtuber named Dodie Clark's videos for about 2-3 years and she played ukulele in most of her videos. I saw how nice she played and how beautiful all her songs were that i decided to get one myself and try it out.

10. Deleted 3 years ago by Gabi8778
  11. I sing and play different instruments for years now, but I felt like the instruments I had been playing weren't "mine". I felt happy about playing these, but something was missing. Years ago I randomly found a video of Dodie Clark on Youtube, and it was like YES THIS IS MUSIC THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO PLAY and... Here I am now. And thanks to that I discovered twenty one pilots. And my love for the uku is getting bigger and bigger everyday. Magic.

12. At first it was my sister, whom I love and admire, especially musically. She bought a uke on her vacation in Israel and taught herself. I wanted to but I didn't have the motivation. What gave me the final push was Tyler Joseph of twenty one pilots. I cherish this band very closely to my heart and I felt as though listening to their music wasn't enough. I wanted to experience it, to play it.
    the rest is history.

13. I'm obsessed with twenty one pilots and I wanted to play their songs so i learned! <///3

14. Dodie Clark!

15. besides vocals, i have little to no musical ability. i struggle to read sheet music, but i watch musicians (especially those in my school's band) with great admiration. i wanted to be able to play something. i was interested in the ukulele but wasn't sure whether or not it would be a waste of my money. if in the end i couldn't play, or learn to play it then i'd have spent the money for nothing. but i kept seeing covers with the uke and i got more and more interested. i did my research and finally decided to get one. so i did. it has been one of my greatest investments. i played it constantly and found websites like this one that have helped me learn.

16. i have been playing uke since i was in 4th grade( im in 8th now) so nearly 4 years:) i started playing because at the time i was obsessed with nevershoutnever. in all elementary school my sis used to play to the way to school and i became literally the biggest fan girl of him. i asked for a uke for my bday and got a concert lankai i think. i was very off and on playing my uke tho. in 8th grade i really really started playing more:)
    dodie clark is one of my favourite human beings too. i also love jon cozart and grace but my inspiration was christopher drew ingle

17. My sister got a uke as a birthday present, and, being the superfan of How I Met Your Mother that I am, I decided to learn how to play (and sing along) "La vie en rose". I kept going and, well, as they say, the rest is history :)

18. One day I was with my friend and I was wearing a onesie and my afro was super shaggy. I looked like an a grade stoner. I had a ukulele in my closet that I had never actually used and I was like "you know what would enhance this look? A ukulele." I grabbed it, took a few pictures, and suddenly realized that it would be cool as fuck if I could actually play it. I learned a few Steven Universe songs and the rest was history.

19. Deleted 3 years ago by Ve4021
  20. Nephew wanted to learn guitar (after seeing all of mine). Took him to the local music store to pick out a guitar that would fit him. Bright blue uke captures his eyes... Next thing you know, I'm paying for his and picking out my own..

21. I started playing out of spite. My best friend had been playing for a few years, and everyone at school loved when she played, so I took my brother's unused ukulele, stayed up till 3 AM and learned a song called Piazza New York Catcher by Belle and Sebastian. I went to school the next day to show everyone, but I wasn't very good, so no one cared, from then on its been my goal to be better at ukulele then my friend.
    I've been playing a little under a year now, I've performed at my middle school christmas assembly, taught 4th graders for extra credit, performed at my 8th grade graduation, small festivals with my friend, a coffee house with my mother(she's in a band, it was a song I wrote), and joined my high school band. I'm in the band with my best friend, and the teacher thought I was the one playing for years. That was the best moment, someone who has been playing for thirty years said I was better at playing then my friend, and that moment is why I started playing.
    To note: my friend and I are now the same level, and have friendly competition with our instruments, and we have our first high school concert this upcoming week where we'll be playing a ukulele duet solo thing together in the song Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!