What Inspired You to Play Uke?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago

I injured my knee and knew the recovery would take several months, during which time I'd be spending a lot of time sitting around. What better way to spend the time than learning the uke?

3. Our music teacher bought 30 cheap Ukes that were on sale and decided our class was going to learn the basics of it. I liked it and got the hang of a few chords, so I told my parents and they bought me a Makala for my birthday

4. mainly, these two right here made me, i thought it was cool for awhile but there made me buy a uke

5. a girl. She loves ukulele.

6. Well, it all started while I was living in Anchorage, Alaska. There is a very large pacific islander(Hawaiian, Samoan, Tongan) population in Anchorage. So naturally I had a bunch of Samoan friends who all knew how to play uke. So one day, I'm playing guitar in the music room, with a swoon of girls surrounding me, and my friend Joe comes in with his brand new Lanikai. He completely steals all my girls by playing "Hey soul sister" and having them sing along. I knew that I had to learn. I had Joe teach me every day at lunch. Christmas came and I begged my parents to get me a uke. When school was back in, Joe and I became a ukulele duo and got all the girls... long story short, Girls and a close friend Inspired me.

7. Went into Guitar Center for a strap, bought a Uke. Went back two days later for a book, Ukes were on sale, so I bought another. Then two more on Ebay.

8. Saw video on youtube~Jake Shimabukuro and Aidan...They played good~kinda inspired me to play

9. I found a 50 year old Ukulele hidden away, and put new strings on it

10. Actually, two songs. First, Moving On by Paramore. I was watching Taylor play his uke in a very cute way (well... I love him, so...) and I was totally "OMG, this is so perfect". But was when I knew McFly's "Love Is Easy" that I realized that I NEEDED to play that song SO HARD. So I made my dad buy a ukulele to me

11. Christofew Drew Ingle from NeverShoutNever

12. When the band McFly released Love is easy and heard it in the song I also liked the guitar but everywhere you look there' s someone playing one so I wanted something similar but really different

13. The Jake Shimabukuro cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps showed me how creative you can be with so few strings. It inspired me to buy a cheap little $60 uke that I began to play, and from there I just got hooked. I'm still pretty horrible at the ukulele, but I enjoy it enough to keep me working at it.

14. I was watching a tv show called Raising Hope and the girl playing the ukulele to the kids, dogs and old people just made me laugh. I am going to be a father in october so i thought i would learn for my baby girl.

15. I started playing uke because I wanted to serenade the girl of my dreams, sounds cheeezy but yeah that's it D

16. The simplicity and beauty of the instrument and it's sound.

17. Turned 50 this year, no idea what to get as a celebratory memory peg....memory not quite shot yet but you know what I mean.

Couldn't stretch the the Hawaii Five O trip...groan.

Casual glance around chums festival bus I spied a little guitar shaped bag which left me pondering a while. No idea about what could be played on a Uke, have no musical talent and school diploma proving same.

So did some research, found the Hawaiian link to the Uke, came Via the Portuguese apparently, education as well.

But the clincher came when I found that someone had actually covered one of my top 3 tunes by my number one band - Hawkwind.

In the below clip there is a true internet legend in the making, she is a lovely lady with a beautiful mind.

Ladies and Gents, let me introduce Ms Poopylungstuffing

OK, so not everyones cup of tea, but did it for me and am now wringing the neck of my Tenor daily.

Cheers - Nige

18. It was a warm summer day, the summer after my final year of highschool, I was out for a bicycle ride with a friend, sight seeing in my quaint little town, popping in and out of the shops. We pedaled up in front of the small music store and being a collector/hoarder of neat instruments I, of course, HAD to go in. So we leaned our bikes up against the stone wall and in we went. I was happily ogling the electric guitars when my gaze drifted upwards. It was the bright tropical blue colour that first grabbed my attention as blue is my very favourite of all colours. Then what I noticed was the sparkles, and how intricately they were placed around the sound hole where the bright blue faded to light, how the sparkles themselves thinned and faded out where the blue is deepest, and the shimmering strip of them that pierced across the middle of the headstock. Without a thought I asked the clerk the price of this absolutely adorably stunning little Ukulele, and I was positively thrilled when he spoke the words $39.99 as I had $40 in my back pocket from house sitting. Thankfully my lovely friend offered to pay the $5 dollars in tax, it was tuned, cased, boxed and ready to become what would be my most favourite instrument of my collection.

THE END.
    ~Taylor~

19. My father and bored at the time!! I'm part Tahitian and Cook Islander, so it was natural to pick up an uku and learn to play. The one joy I love is that I can take it anywhere; train bus, just about anywhere and you'll be surprised how many people ask you to play!! And when I do they join in and sing - That's the reason I learn and love the uku!

20. I started last year.

I go to an arts school in Ottawa for the vocal program. (Canterbury High School, Woot!) This school is really big on being hipster and playing instruments that not everyone plays. Being a trend follower I noticed that a lot of people had been bringing in ukuleles and just jamming in the hallway. The sound was so beautiful and the texture of the sound was even better. I started begging my mom for months to get me a ukulele and then finally Christmas rolled around. I got a really cheap ($30) ukulele...and then a lot of Christmas money. So, the next day went to a folk music store down town and bought the coolest ukulele I could find. Been playing it ever since...like non stop.

21. Ive been playing guitar and bass for about a year and i just love learning new things. The main reason i started learning ukulele was because of George Harrison. He is my idol and i named my first ukulele after him.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!