What Inspired You to Play Uke?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

The most frustrating experience of my life was my father trying to teach me how to play the guitar... I was a child and therefore had very small hands and he was teaching me on a full size Martin and I love my father but he is a horrible guitar teacher, he musical ability is kind of on a sevant-like level so he never understood why I just didn't "get" it.

Many lessons ended in frustrated tears until he finally let me be, and so I've always yearned to play a guitar but have no one to teach me. So instead I bought a ukulele to teach myself and I've grown to love it I think more than I would have loved a guitar.... Also my father doesn't bother to hide his surprise when I play a song on the uke

3. No doubt, Julia Nunes. I was going through a strange part of my life in high school, and watching her covers on the ukulele just seemed to make everything negative go away. I didn't get one until a year or two later, but I've always loved the instrument and I've finally found time to focus on learning more songs and improving!

4. Pretty much watching people's covers on youtube That, and I've always wanted to play an instrument. I love the sound of a Ukulele and its size is really portable.

5. What inspired me to pretend that I could play the ukulele? I don't know. There was no life altering moment.

Way back in the distant past, I tried the clarinet, drums, accordian. They didn't pan out. More recently, the mandolin, penny whistle, and harmonica. They didn't pan out either.

I heard "Somewhere over the Rainbow" on a Glee episode, but didn't really realize that what he was playing was a ukulele, though that may have been somewhere in the mists of my mind. A store at the local mall was selling ukuleles but it wasn't until they dropped the price to twenty dollars that I bought one.

I have since managed to pick out the melodoes of a few songs, managed to strum a few others, and aquired three ukuleles, two cheap (under 30) and one inexpensive (over 50 but less than 100.)

But I can't think of one specific moment when I was "inspired" to play the ukulele.

6. I first heard a ukulele in my brothers car. He had some never shout never tracks on the uke and i loved the tone it gave the songs. It was happy and tender and even though I was not the biggest cristofer drew fan I could not help how much i was drawn to it. In that same time frame I found out I had a tumor in my ear canal that had to be removed. Loss of hearing was a very likly complication to occur with surgery, so I told myself if all goes well I will pick one up.

That was 3 years ago and I now have a lil kala sorprano, and a luna concert

7. "Lutochris" I first heard a ukulele in my brothers car. He had some never shout never tracks on the uke and i loved the tone it gave the songs. It was happy and tender and even though I was not the biggest cristofer drew fan I could not help how much i was drawn to it. In that same time frame I found out I had a tumor in my ear canal that had to be removed. Loss of hearing was a very likly complication to occur with surgery, so I told myself if all goes well I will pick one up.

That was 3 years ago and I now have a lil kala sorprano, and a luna concert

Wow! that was an impressive story!! Was your hearing affected at all?

8. My then girlfriend kimmy, requested songs to be sung to her before she slept. My voice is horrible so I decided to make my singing a little bit more bearable due to the effect of the uke.

9. That's sweet

10. "shugabella" I personally had no big life changing revelation. I was just wondering around YouTube one night and stumbled across a random Ukulele cover. I loved the ukes sound and got addicted. That started my first "Youtube Ukulele Binge" and I ended up looking at different covers and instrumentals for hours. The very next day I went to a music store and bought one.

So what's you guys story?

My hubby bought me a martin. I love its ability to be useful even without being plugged into the grid..

11. My friend played a lot, and I just loved the ease of playing, and I loved the sound. So I bought one, and I've been teaching myself since.

12. A colleague of mine bought one for fun. As soon as I heard that sweet sound, I decided I'd get one for myself.

It wasn't until a couple of months later (and a really really bad breakup) when I finally got it. Instead of getting pissed off about the breakup, I was getting pissed off because I couldn't play certain chords. This little cheap plastic uke really helped and patched me up quite quickly. I am considering retiring it and getting myself a nice new wooden tenor (I got a soprano now).

13. Adventure Time Rebecca Sugar pitched a lot of songs for storyboard, using the uke. So I figured it would be rad if I could play them all, considering my mates and I are such huge fans of the show.

14. Christofer Drew the singer of never shout never basically inspired me in every single way. I really wanted to learn something new and Me and my uke just made me want a ukulele soo bad. So I went on amazon, found a cute one then bought it. I love indigo so much <3 she's my pride and joy

15. In all honesty I'm really not sure. I just woke up one morning and decided that I wanted to play the ukulele, like with any of my other crazy whims. (Puppeteering, DJing, comics....) After about two months of begging my dad for a ukulele (For some reason he hates them! Can you believe that?!) I finally got one. I immediately named it Lucy and have played it every day ever since. I play it during lunch time at school, too. XD Everyone loves it. On the rare occasion I don't play during lunch people ask me to.

16. I think the first time the ukulele really caught my attention was when Paul McCartney brought one out to play "something", during the George Harrison tribute concert. After Joe Brown played one as well at the end of the show, I needed to have one!
    I am now a raging ukeaholic and play my ukes every single day.

I'm brand new to this site &amp; am looking forward to learning &amp; sharing with you all !

17. my friends asked me what i wanted for my birthday, i had just watched charlie McDonald's ukulele video and decided a ukulele would be awesome

18. i had just split up with my long time girlfriend (and the mother of my daughter) and my friend said that his wife had just bought him an electro accoustic uke for his birthday. he bought it in to work and i had a little play and thought it was pretty cool, and thought nothing of it. i then found out that my ex was moving 200miles away and taking my little girl with me, which sucked and hit me pretty badly so my friend (who didnt actially play his uke) said that i could borrow his uke, to try and learn some songs, i took it home and played some chords and have been hooked ever since, i used to take it with me when ever i went to see my little girl and played it in the evenings, it helped me through that bad part of my life, luckily my ex and my daughter have moved back this way and my friend has since given me the ukulele as a gift as he saw how happy it made me. im now looking to start a folk band with my friend who is learning to play the fiddle! and am currently trying to teach my three year old to play too! she loves some of the songs i come up with! haha

you can never be sad when you have a uke in your hand and a tune in your head!

19. There's a show called 'Adventure Time' with a lot of mini songs sung using the ukulele and I wanted to learn how to sing and play them so I bought a ukulele and I'm very happy playing it

20. My friend bought one and I've always wanted to play an instrument so I bought one and I fell in love with it.

21. Music is a huge part of my life. Ukulele I kind of learned by accident. I picked it up and the first thing I strummed was a G7 chord, no other lessons. I kept learning and now I love it. Not only that, but it gets me fanz!!!!

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!