Strings and things

1. 7 years ago

Who does everybody like when it comes to strings? Ive always used Martins but have heard good things about Aquilla. Who you use?

2. I've only use Aquila strings once and, they didn't "blow my mind" like they tend to do with most ukers. I'm a D'addario Pro Arte girl all the way. :-)

3. Its all about Aquila strings made in Italia

4. Many inexpensive ukes respond very well to Aquila strings. They give a warm, rich tone in most cases. Some people find this warmth too much on some finer ukes. While I like their tone on my Kamaka standard, I did not like the tone of them on my KoAloha concert. It came with factory installed Worth clears (which are difficult to find locally, and are sometimes out of stock on the few online sources), and I have found that Worth browns work very well on the KoAloha. I suggest (like I've done with every guitar I've owned) trying many different brands, styles, weights on your ukes, and finding the best ones for your touch, your ideal tone, and what the individual uke responds to. The hunt is a journey and often the journey is better than the destination.

5. When I went to the store to get strings, there were two choices.

1. Martin; Standard; Nylon
    2. Aquila; Quality; Nyl-gut.

The quality strings are made of sheep gut D :

That's gross!

6. Honestly honestly honestly - string choice is totally personal and subjective.

How a string performs will depend on the instrument (even two of the same instrument can differ), your playing style, and your own ears. There is no right and wrong string.

I would urge all players to experiment and settle on the string that sounds And feels best to you - even if that is a brand you read other people dissing, if it works for you, it is the right string.

Now, all of that said, a word on Aquila - they really must be the most popular string these days and they now come as standard on most new ukes. I personally don't like them. Sure, they can work wonders on cheaper laminate wood ukes, but on solid wood I think they are boomy and muddy sounding.

Please experiement. A quick glance at the few ukes I've got in my living room tells me most of them have different brands on. That came as a result of experimenting

The brands I use the most - Martin Flourocarbon, Worth (in various styles) Living Water, Fremont.

7. I'm curious to know if anyone's used Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. I love to listen to him play, and all his ukes sound wonderful. I'm really tempted to order a set.

Check out Ken Middleton here if you have no idea who I'm talking referring to: http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Edit: I noticed BAZMAZ said he's used them. Whatcha think? And what uke(s) do you use them on?

8. "stormcarver" I'm curious to know if anyone's used Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. I love to listen to him play, and all his ukes sound wonderful. I'm really tempted to order a set.

Check out Ken Middleton here if you have no idea who I'm talking referring to: http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Edit: I noticed BAZMAZ said he's used them. Whatcha think? And what uke(s) do you use them on?

Never heard of him till you posted... WOW! Very talented! He has some really awesome solos in the few songs I listened to.

9. Aquila all the way!!!!!!!!!
    Never heard of anything else!

10. thongar

17 Aug 2012 Moderator

My ukulele uses nylon Aquila and I went to the music shop to get new strings (to improve sound quality/feel) and the guy said I should get either Aquila/Worth (which I'd never heard of before), so I decided to see what the Worth strings were like, and I would definitely recommend them. All depends on what sound/feel everyone else prefers though.

11. I used Aquila on my first Kala uke and Savarez Alliance on my Motu.

I changed my old Aquila's for Savarez on my Kala uke but i plan to change for Nylgut Aquila again.
    The sound is much more mellow, deep and powerful with Aquila on my Kala.

But Savarez's are perfect for my Motu.

12. I've used Kens. In fact I've jammed with him on several occasions - he's a lovely bloke.

His new strings are on of my favourites. Of course, by earlier advice still applies - string choice is a personal thing!

13. 2 months ago
    Deleted 3 weeks ago by UT

or Sign Up to reply!