Who are your favourite artists/bands?

1. 5 years ago

thongar

10 Aug 2012 Moderator

Hey everyone! (Hopefully this thread hasn't already been created...but...)

Just want to know who your favourite musicians are. I'm pretty open minded to any genres, so I'd love to hear what artists you all like listening to/playing on the ukulele! I'll make sure to check them out if I haven't already.

For me, I've really enjoyed playing songs from The Strokes, The Beatles, As Tall As Lions, Outkast, The Butterfly Effect, Radiohead, Jack Johnson, Coldplay, Lior, John Mayer and there's several other people I could list, but I wouldn't want to bore you.

So yeah, list away!

2. Jack Johnson, Red hot chilis, childish gambino, kid cudi, sublime are some of my favorite music groups/artist.

3. I love, love, love Laura Marling.
    I wish there were more uke tabs/chords for her.

4. Joanna newsom, Andrew Bird, Eisley, Leftover Cuties, Regina Spektor, Pomplamoose, Dashboard Confessional, Florence and the Machine, Death Cab for Cutie, Beirut, Josh Garrels, the Postal Service, Me with out you

5. thongar

11 Aug 2012 Moderator

"Brianne" I love, love, love Laura Marling.
    I wish there were more uke tabs/chords for her.

I looked her up briefly on youtube, and I love her sound! Are there particular songs from her you'd like chords/tabs for? When I'm not busy I can probably figure something out for you.

"icare" Joanna newsom, Andrew Bird, Eisley, Leftover Cuties, Regina Spektor, Pomplamoose, Dashboard Confessional, Florence and the Machine, Death Cab for Cutie, Beirut, Josh Garrels, the Postal Service, Me with out you

Ohmy. Thank you for the great list of people I haven't heard of before! (Minus Florence, Death Cab, Dashboard who I already know I'll be sure to look at more of their music.

6. Among the list, I highly reccomend listening to Beirut, their songs are amazing and so much fun to play on the uke! My favorite songs by Beirut are Postcards from Italy, Elephant Gun, and Scenic World.

7. "thongar" I've really enjoyed playing songs from The Strokes

Have you heard any of Julian Casablancas' solo stuff? Some of it's good (and some of it's weird). I really like him in this song as well, even if the subject matter is... odd.

8. The Beatles, Joy Division, Bon Iver, XTC, Monarchy, Gorillaz, The Killers, etc. That sort-a stuff, you know, mainly Post-Punk, some New Wave, and the Beatles.

9. Mathieu Boogaerts, Matthieu Chédid aka -M- and Serge Gainsbourg are on my podium. And i have to add Vincent Delerm to my list, as a joker. Actually it's more a top-four than a top-three.

10. thongar

13 Aug 2012 Moderator

"icare" Among the list, I highly reccomend listening to Beirut, their songs are amazing and so much fun to play on the uke! My favorite songs by Beirut are Postcards from Italy, Elephant Gun, and Scenic World.

Definitely adding Beirut to my 'listen to' list. Thank you!

"che53" Mathieu Boogaerts, Matthieu Chédid aka -M- and Serge Gainsbourg are on my podium. And i have to add Vincent Delerm to my list, as a joker. Actually it's more a top-four than a top-three.

Mathieu Boogaerts has the best facial hair, ever. Listened to a number of songs and I really like Matthieu Chédid and Vincent Delerm.

"whaling" Have you heard any of Julian Casablancas' solo stuff? Some of it's good (and some of it's weird). I really like him in this song as well, even if the subject matter is... odd.

I have! I really like it. Even if 'some of it's weird' ;P I hadn't heard of that til now, but it's really good.

"Benpaco" The Beatles, Joy Division, Bon Iver, XTC, Monarchy, Gorillaz, The Killers, etc. That sort-a stuff, you know, mainly Post-Punk, some New Wave, and the Beatles.

Benpaco, you named a lot of my favourite artists. Can't believe I forgot to mention those. You also wrote The Beatles twice. They definitely deserve two mentions though, huh.

You all have good taste in music!

11. "thongar"

"icare" Among the list, I highly reccomend listening to Beirut, their songs are amazing and so much fun to play on the uke! My favorite songs by Beirut are Postcards from Italy, Elephant Gun, and Scenic World.

Definitely adding Beirut to my 'listen to' list. Thank you!

"che53" Mathieu Boogaerts, Matthieu Chédid aka -M- and Serge Gainsbourg are on my podium. And i have to add Vincent Delerm to my list, as a joker. Actually it's more a top-four than a top-three.

Mathieu Boogaerts has the best facial hair, ever. Listened to a number of songs and I really like Matthieu Chédid and Vincent Delerm.

"whaling" Have you heard any of Julian Casablancas' solo stuff? Some of it's good (and some of it's weird). I really like him in this song as well, even if the subject matter is... odd.

I have! I really like it. Even if 'some of it's weird' ;P I hadn't heard of that til now, but it's really good.

"Benpaco" The Beatles, Joy Division, Bon Iver, XTC, Monarchy, Gorillaz, The Killers, etc. That sort-a stuff, you know, mainly Post-Punk, some New Wave, and the Beatles.

Benpaco, you named a lot of my favourite artists. Can't believe I forgot to mention those. You also wrote The Beatles twice. They definitely deserve two mentions though, huh.

You all have good taste in music!

Beruit is great - I'd also reccomend a listen. And I listed the Beatles as a Style, sort-a. I'm not sure what to call their genre - they're too Pop to be Rock, too Rock to be pop, too light to be Classic Rock, too poppy to be Alternative, not poppy enough to be bubblegum, etc. But bands that are in the Beatles genre I like, as well as the Beatles themselves. That was my point with the double mention there. And I must ask - do you know XTC and Joy Division???? (I won't even ask about Monarchy - no one knows them, but the other 2'd be awesome if you knew!)

12. thongar

14 Aug 2012 Moderator

"Benpaco" Beruit is great - I'd also reccomend a listen. And I listed the Beatles as a Style, sort-a. I'm not sure what to call their genre - they're too Pop to be Rock, too Rock to be pop, too light to be Classic Rock, too poppy to be Alternative, not poppy enough to be bubblegum, etc. But bands that are in the Beatles genre I like, as well as the Beatles themselves. That was my point with the double mention there. And I must ask - do you know XTC and Joy Division???? (I won't even ask about Monarchy - no one knows them, but the other 2'd be awesome if you knew!)

Yeah, I listened to a lot of Beirut's stuff on youtube yesterday. I know XTC, but not Joy Division. Any recommendations for their songs? Also, I like Monarchy!

13. "thongar"

"Benpaco" Beruit is great - I'd also reccomend a listen. And I listed the Beatles as a Style, sort-a. I'm not sure what to call their genre - they're too Pop to be Rock, too Rock to be pop, too light to be Classic Rock, too poppy to be Alternative, not poppy enough to be bubblegum, etc. But bands that are in the Beatles genre I like, as well as the Beatles themselves. That was my point with the double mention there. And I must ask - do you know XTC and Joy Division???? (I won't even ask about Monarchy - no one knows them, but the other 2'd be awesome if you knew!)

Yeah, I listened to a lot of Beirut's stuff on youtube yesterday. I know XTC, but not Joy Division. Any recommendations for their songs? Also, I like Monarchy!

You know Monarchy and XTC!?!?! I think I love you! Haha, jk, but you do have an amazing taste of music! The only people I know who know Monarchy are a few of my friends who I introduced to them, but even then, some of them didn't like it (fools!)
    Joy Division is sorta the band everyone forgets about. They were only around for 4 years before their singer commited suicide (but the band kept going as a little group called "New Order" who changed the face of electronic music). But Joy Division influenced everyone it seems like, including U2, The Cure, Bloc Party, Interpol, Moby, The Editors, The National, John Frusciante of RHCP, Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, and a bunch more. And I will link my favorite 3 by them below, but before I do so - are you farmiliar with Tuxedomoon?

First, their biggest hit, known for its use in Donnie Darko, and what was voted in 2002 by NME to be the greatest song of all time (Triple J ran the same poll in 89 and 90 and found the same thing both times)

Next, the oft-forgotten single "She's Lost Control" about a girl with Epilepsy (which the singer was afflicted by himself):

Finally, this is "Shadowplay" which is best known for its covers by The Killers and Silversun Pickups:

And there's your guide to Joy Division. I hope you like them, they are like black licorice - you either love it or you hate it

14. I was particularly thrilled to learn last night that DEAD CAN DANCE is coming out with a new album -- the first in 16 years

WOOOOOO

I can't imaging how you could play their stuff on a uke, though

15. thongar

15 Aug 2012 Moderator

"Benpaco" You know Monarchy and XTC!?!?! I think I love you! Haha, jk, but you do have an amazing taste of music! The only people I know who know Monarchy are a few of my friends who I introduced to them, but even then, some of them didn't like it (fools!)

Joy Division is sorta the band everyone forgets about. They were only around for 4 years before their singer commited suicide (but the band kept going as a little group called "New Order" who changed the face of electronic music). But Joy Division influenced everyone it seems like, including U2, The Cure, Bloc Party, Interpol, Moby, The Editors, The National, John Frusciante of RHCP, Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, and a bunch more. And I will link my favorite 3 by them below, but before I do so - are you farmiliar with Tuxedomoon?

First, their biggest hit, known for its use in Donnie Darko, and what was voted in 2002 by NME to be the greatest song of all time (Triple J ran the same poll in 89 and 90 and found the same thing both times)
    Next, the oft-forgotten single "She's Lost Control" about a girl with Epilepsy (which the singer was afflicted by himself):
    Finally, this is "Shadowplay" which is best known for its covers by The Killers and Silversun Pickups
    And there's your guide to Joy Division. I hope you like them, they are like black licorice - you either love it or you hate it

Haha, yes! They’re really good. You have an amazing taste in music too! (What?! I think they might need to get their ears checked …)

Ah wow. I listened to the links and really enjoyed them! (Much more than I’d ever like black licorice haha). I ended up browsing other songs by them too – it’s sad the singer’s not with them anymore though. ;~; I wish I'd heard of Tuxedomoon earlier! (Just looked them up on youtube) I had a deprived music-hood. :<

"pootsie" I was particularly thrilled to learn last night that DEAD CAN DANCE is coming out with a new album -- the first in 16 years

WOOOOOO

I can't imaging how you could play their stuff on a uke, though

According to my sources (google), they're currently doing a world tour and their new album's already been released! Hadn't actually heard of them til now - but I do like what I've heard.

Also, I'm sure you could figure something out on the uke.

16. "thongar"
    Haha, yes! They’re really good. You have an amazing taste in music too! (What?! I think they might need to get their ears checked …)

Ah wow. I listened to the links and really enjoyed them! (Much more than I’d ever like black licorice haha). I ended up browsing other songs by them too – it’s sad the singer’s not with them anymore though. ;~; I wish I'd heard of Tuxedomoon earlier! (Just looked them up on youtube) I had a deprived music-hood. :<

Haha, you didn't have a deprived music-hood - you knew XTC and Monarchy, which is not something many people can say! And Joy Division was great ... Ian just had some problems and it all piled up and he became just ... unstable. If you are interested in his story, watch the Movie "Control" - its a great movie, too!

And Tuxedomoon is great too. There are a million other bands I can introduce you to if you are interested (my dad has introduced me to a lot of Tuxedomoon/Joy Division/Bauhaus-y music). Anyhow, if you're interested, PM me, I don't want us to eat up this whole forum!

17. I love Garfunkel and Oates. They're so talented and cool. Riki and Kate are great, look them up!

18. Im probably the only one thats ever heard of him but Tom Waits is my absolute favorite! Me and my fiancee are dancing to 'Little Trip to Heaven' for our first dance in a few weeks . Second is probably Pink Floyd followed by a plethora of other artists, mostly punk bands. Im a bit eclectic!

19. thongar

18 Aug 2012 Moderator

"Benpaco" Haha, you didn't have a deprived music-hood - you knew XTC and Monarchy, which is not something many people can say! And Joy Division was great ... Ian just had some problems and it all piled up and he became just ... unstable. If you are interested in his story, watch the Movie "Control" - its a great movie, too!

And Tuxedomoon is great too. There are a million other bands I can introduce you to if you are interested (my dad has introduced me to a lot of Tuxedomoon/Joy Division/Bauhaus-y music). Anyhow, if you're interested, PM me, I don't want us to eat up this whole forum!

Haha, alrighty. This is off-topic but, I went to look at CD's yesterday - and there were Joy Division CD's for around $5! I'm probably going to go in and buy some next week. (I prefer CD's over buying music online). I've heard good things about that movie - haven't had the chance to watch it yet. But I'll probably watch it in the holidays (just 10 weeks to go. ;___;)

And, feel free to eat it up! This thread was made to discuss other musicians. I'll send you a PM anyway.

"rnpeters" I love Garfunkel and Oates. They're so talented and cool. Riki and Kate are great, look them up!

Yes! I love their persona's and face expressions. They're a good comedy duo.

"massahwahl" Im probably the only one thats ever heard of him but Tom Waits is my absolute favorite! Me and my fiancee are dancing to 'Little Trip to Heaven' for our first dance in a few weeks . Second is probably Pink Floyd followed by a plethora of other artists, mostly punk bands. Im a bit eclectic!

You're not the only one. I loooove Tom Waits and Pink Floyd's another favourite. That's wonderful! Congrats on your engagement and all the best for your wedding!

20. No, you are NOT the only one that has heard of Tom Waits so phllabbbbt

I agree that Floyd rocks. I also happen to love Peter Gabriel.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!