Best Tuning App

1. 6 years ago

What is the best app to tune my uke?

2. I would buy a tuner. You can't expect a phone or tablet to be as precise as a tuner. You can buy one of those that you clip to the head of the uke, and it measures the vibrations via the clip instead of using the mic. I find those to be the best and most precise. And they don't cost too much.

3. There is actually a really cool app called "PitchLab." I have it on my Android, but I'm sure it's available for iPhone. And it does way more than just help you tune individual strings. It can determine what chords it is hearing, too. I use it to analyze songs I want to learn...you just let it listen to the music, and it will give you a general idea of what chords to play! Really cool variety of tools. Check it out.

4. I'm with dcmason, PitchLab is an excellent (free!) app! I've used it with guitar, mandolin and ukulele successfully. I love that it shows note octaves (this has really helped in transposing sheet music) and the spectrum options are great for vocals. Be mindful of the ambient/background noises though!

If you're looking for a hardware tuner,I recommend the Snark brand of tuners. The all-instrument version is good for uke and mandolin but not so good for guitar. The uke version of course is just loverly for ukes. They go for $10-$15 each on Amazon.

Cheers!

5. 5 years ago

I have "Guitar Tuner" on my tablet. Out of the 5 I tried, this one is my favorite. It has so many different keys you can use, I thinm there's 4 for uke, and its very accurate. Just takes al ittle figuring out

6. "dcmason" There is actually a really cool app called "PitchLab." I have it on my Android, but I'm sure it's available for iPhone. And it does way more than just help you tune individual strings. It can determine what chords it is hearing, too. I use it to analyze songs I want to learn...you just let it listen to the music, and it will give you a general idea of what chords to play! Really cool variety of tools. Check it out.

I have PitchLab on my IPad and it works great. I use it primarily for my Banjolele since the clip on tuners for some reason can't hear the "A" string very well. It may just be the solid construction of the instrument makes it hard for it to pick up the vibration of the smaller string.

or Sign Up to reply!